Friday, June 11, 2010

Step One: we can have lots of fun

Happy Friday! Who doesn't love a NKOTB reference? My goodness this sunny day sure makes me want to run and play outside.

Yesterday Megan and I were emailing and she was telling me about the 10k races she and Adam are going to run in preparation for her Half-Marathon. She's beyond inspiring to talk to and her motivation for her races and determination in life in general is pretty infectious. The greatest this about Megan?(hard to pick just one) You want to make yourself a better person being her friend.

This got me thinking and researching a few more races. Looking at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront it struck me that it was my BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! With the theme of improvement and betterment of self this year, what better way to celebrate than running!? I surely couldn't think of one. Hip-hip-hooray for 25! The treat of the whole thing is that Lauren (fellow September baby and PR superstar) had been considering a run in the fall and my perfectly timed excitement got her hooked. She's in! I'm pumped. Lauren has credited me in the past for being her inspiration to get healthy, sadly I wasn't the greatest role model and slipped back. Funny though how life works, Lauren is now my muse in health and fitness. Couldn't think of a better partner in crime for that day. We both know all too well what each other has gone through, since we lived it.

The hardest part? Was actually signing up. I had all of my information filled out, and just blinked at the screen. I couldn't press send. It made things all too real, and I'm still living fearful of my ankle. I'm letting it hold me back. I don't know how fast I can run, what bracket to put myself in, or even how I'll be doing in a few months time. I'm getting really good at panicking. Enter sister, the non-runner with no intent to run. This girl has some wicked advice and is straight to the point.
Ready for this? Here we go:
"That's a great goal...once you can start running again you'll time yourself. I know it's important to you to do well, but the planet isn't gonna explode if you run your first race ever at 29:01."
How simple, how true. Even if I didn't believe her (which I totally do, Alli. It was amazing help). Last night's fortune cookie agrees with her.


Cookies never lie!

Sister and cookie pep-talk taken to heart. I pressed send. It's official, I'm running on September 26, 2010. Two days after I turn 25, I'll be hustling my fine ass from the Ex grounds to City Hall.

Tonight is Relay for Life, an event that my family has been doing for the last six years. My Mimi, my grandmother without the blood relation, is a survivor and is over six years cancer-free. She may just be my favourite person to ever exist and I know, without a doubt in my mind, that she is the most interesting person I've ever listened to. Our team "Mimi's Angel's" has raised over $20,000 in the six years, and is the second highest raising group at our location this year. I'm very proud of my team, and very thankful for those who support my grandma.
How cute are we?

Gosh, she makes me smile; I can't wait for tonight. Only bad thing is that I won't be doing much "relaying", a lot more sitting. I've learned over the last six years that the running part doesn't matter, it's all about family and laughter. It looks like the weather will hold out though...we've NEVER had a relay that it hasn't rained. I'm liking our odds.

Oh update on my green monster fiascoes:
Mission 'successful smoothie' was in full effect last night. I stopped by Starbucks last night after leaving the gym and stumbled upon the perfect reusable cup. Look at this mornings GM:

It is contained with a twist on securing lid to hopefully decrease spilling accidents and has a straw. I was in Grande slurping heaven.

Oatmeal for breakfast, and brown rice with loads of veggies for lunch. I'm super hungry today, so I'll probably need another snack before we head over to Relay. Thanks to some fabulous sponsors and volunteers there is never a shortage of food there.

What are you doing with your weekend? What is your best Birthday spoil?

No comments:

Post a Comment