Tuesday, June 8, 2010

P-P-P-Push it! Push it real good!

I've been taking a lesson from the book of Salt n' Peppa: Push It. No one wants me to break out into a rap, or try to beatbox, I'll spare you. I've been trying my best to follow RICE (not going too hot), but I've been also been trying to get back on my feet faster than expected. For anyone who knows me this is not surprising. I am wholeheartedly stubborn, I make my own rules, and I refuse to settle.

My usual push is just walking, trying to balance and put some weight on my left foot. Umm...OUCH! But after 2.5 weeks, I thought it was about time to head back to the gym. I've been doing upper body workouts, but the cardio equipment is taunting me. You know that expression "it's just like riding a bike" ...ya, it doesn't apply here.

The stationary bike was my mission last night and when I remembered to pull up with my hamstring I was fine, but as soon as I got into my music/spaced out/talked I would use my ankle and foot to push the peddle and that was bad news bears. I pushed through 15 minutes. Slow start, and very discouraging. This healing thing is taking a lot out of me; the best descriptor would be deflating. By the time I get home from a day of work all I want to do is sleep. I am mentally, physically and emotionally drained from my day. Needless to say I couldn't do much after the gym last night. I sat, iced, and threw myself a pity party. If anyone needs a pity party planner (say that one three times fast) I am available for hire. I throw a wicked bash, if I do say so myself.

I went to bed early, only to toss and turn for the duration of my sleep. I was a bit anxious about today, I had two doctors appointments. I made a smoothie for breakfast and managed to keep it in the glass - I actually enjoyed my prepared breakfast today instead of spilling it. I really dislike my general practitioner, so much so that I refer to her as "Frosty". She has no bedside manner and is very impersonal. I need to find a new one, but I'd rather switch to a Naturopath. So if anyone would like to funnel me an influx of flow so I can afford it that'd be great. Naturopathy needs to be covered by OHIP! They are such amazing doctors. GP and OB-Gyn got taken care of in the morning.

I had a little bit of time to kill before my osteopath appointment so I stopped by Square One to treat myself. I really deserved it, and I'm a firm believer of the rewards system. A refill of my Dolce & Gabanna "The One" found it's way into my bag, so did a very pretty hair bow.

Osteo treatment was next. Steph was impressed by my improvement, and said she can see I'm walking better. I will admit that the swelling is down, and I'm walking slightly better, but it's nothing to be impressed about to me. We did more A.R.T. (active reflex therapy) and it helps get all the muscles moving around. Steph suggests we try acupuncture, and I'm on board. Never tried it, but read a lot about it's benefits and I'm not afraid of needles, I'm a tough chick. The first few needles go in and then the rest. My ankle and foot look like my sewing pin cushion and I feel a little tingle. Electric currents are then hooked up to the needles and my left side is pulsing to match my heart beat. It's a pretty cool experience, and no the needles don't hurt going in. I did my best to relax, thank goodness for BBM (and Meg, Alli, Cam, Todd, and Kevin on the other side) to keep me occupied. Hung out there for about 10 minutes, and as fast as they went in the needles came out and I was on my way. My left leg is tingling a bit now and the pain is still there. I'll ice when I get home, but hopefully I'll reap the benefits in no time. Not back on the table until Saturday morning, so I'll be trying to rehab it as much as I can alone. I have my set of exercises, and ones I've made up myself (of course).

I can't see myself doing much this evening. It's just about four o'clock and I'm already super sleepy. Thinking of buying a ticket to the ballet, I really want to see West Side Story Suite, et al. but that means I'll need to stay up until midnight. I can't really see that happening, but wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment