Thursday, July 29, 2010

Short Skirt, Long Jacket

After going to watch Love, Loss and What I Wore with Shannon on Tuesday night I thought a lot about how I also remember significant events through my outfits. People always talk about where they were when an event happened, like the moon landing, or a president being shot, or their favourite team winning a championship. Not me, I'm not sure where I was, but I do know what was on my back...and on my feet!

I remember what I wore to each of my big job interviews. With the Rock I wore a black tank style dress that was narrow to the knee with a fabulous teal and gold scarf, no jewelry and black May Jane's. To my OUA interview I wore a black dress shirt with a white pencil skirt that dawned a orange and brown pattern, accented with gold jewelry and beige pumps. When I interviewed with the Athletic Department in Windsor I wore a red and white floral skirt with a black three-quarter length cotton tee and flip flops. (I didn't know it was an interview, I thought I was talking about my cheerleading team, big surprise).

I remember what I wore to each of the 19 Toronto Rock games this past season. I'm happy to say I only recycled a skirt once, and wore it with a different top. I also travel with 26 men, so if I wore a paper bag they wouldn't notice - unless it has cleavage then I get a comment - or on Valentine's when one of the rookies thought I dressed up for them. Granted I looked hot and wore red lipstick, but I ended up having a producer feel up my leg unwanted, backfire.

I remember the skirts I wore when I took ballroom lessons with an ex, the black and white polkadots I was draped in when he asked me out, and the black luon lululemon dress I was wearing when we broke up.

I remember the hot pink corduroy skirt, black DC baby-tee and vans skate shoes I wore to my first Heroes For Sale concert at Masonic Lodge, accessorized with a black studded belt worn low on the hips and a mess-full of homemade jewelry. 

I remember what I was wearing when I destroyed my ankle, I even have photo evidence of it.
I don't think I'll be able to look back at this year's showcase with fond memories of much. The pretty dances, the great cheering section I had, will all be over shadowed by this stupid injury.

It wouldn't be a 10 week hurt-aversary without talk of the ankle, so I'll give you all what you're waiting for. The bondage brace is semi-retired. My pain is mostly localized to where the condyle lesion is, which makes sense because everything else is healing...slowly....which only leaves the exposed bone to hurt. I still wear the brace when I go on long walks and when I begin to run again it will be snugly secured.

I don't know when my first injection appointment is yet, but Steph is thinking next week some time. I hope it gets done that fast, so I can get back on the road. I'm so excited (read: scared to death) about the Toronto Waterfront 5km, that I want to burst out my door everyday and hustle to it.

Happy to report that my "body and soul" tasks of my rehab are coming along great as well.

I've been at the yoga studio every Sunday, and my progress and balance are coming along just fine. I am a cleaning machine, and an very thankful for the person who invented Swiffer cloths. I need to take more advantage of the free classes because once a week isn't cutting it for me. I'll have to work out my workout schedule again, there must be some spare time in there hiding.

I had my one-on-one interview with Big Sisters today and found out all the next steps about how I get matched with my "little". It still looks like it is going to take more time, but with over 300 children waiting to be matched up, I know I am going to find the perfect match. A friendship waiting to happen, and I promise I won't corrupt her.

I also went to see Jersey Boys for the third time last night with the family. Gosh I love theatre and that show brings back such funny memories with Sister. I can't say it struck any cords in my writing, but it did encourage dessert consumption.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment