Friday, July 16, 2010

Melt My Heart To Stone

Sorry for my absence this week, it has been a very crazy time in the life of Laura. A few great things happened, a few not so great things.

I left you on Tuesday with lack of motivation and lots on my mind. I'm still reporting around the same. I feel like working out, but I don't actually do it. I've gone to the gym and a walk, but this week is rather lacking in the rehab department. I need to ice, I need to stretch, I need to balance.

On Wednesday Lauren and I took advantage of Summerlicious and went to the ever-so-prissy Auberge du Pommier.  We showed up early for the reservation and enjoyed the beautiful grounds, lovely weather and great company.

Summerlicious allows us regular folk to try fancy-pants restaurants for a fraction of the price. $45 for three courses. Don't ask me why, but Lauren and I were treated like superstars at AdP, spoiled by everyone. The chef even came to visit our table and make us a special dish. We ended up getting about six courses for $45. It was an experience I will never forget; I definitely felt like a celebrity. Also, they make this sour cream ice cream that will make you melt inside.  

Today marked day 1 of 3 of the Honda Indy Toronto. Basically I sit in the sun and try to explain pro lacrosse to people while being drowned out by the sound of racing cars. The best part? Is that Megan and the Blue Jays are set up right across from us.
We're so cute! That's the 1993 World Series Trophy.

While I was working at the Indy my dad informed me that my Nana (his mother) died today. He was the unlucky soul that had to tell my Pops (his father). The two have been divorced for years, but he still cried. He did love her, though she wasn't always the nicest to him. My Nana suffered from Alzheimer's for about 20 years. She didn't know anyone, didn't have a life of her own. It still is never easy.

A little background on my Nana: from what I'm told she has never been the sweetest person. She was selfish, nasty to her husband, and neglectful of her seven children. She was always mean to my mother.

I don't have many memories of her when she was of right mind. I only really know her as the red-headed woman that was always impeccably dressed, with hair and makeup styled just right. She always looked perfect, smelled amazing, and had an armful of bangles that jingled. Every time I wear bangles I shake my arm gently and it reminds me of her. I can hear that sound in my head right now, and am starting to tear up.

I'm surprised at my reaction. When I heard the news I started crying automatically, but then it stopped. My emotions have teetered for the woman, though blood, I never really knew.  I decided to put on an arms length of bangles and look through my childhood photos for one of her and I. Guess what? We have none together. I actually don't possess any with her in them. I did find this though from my parent's wedding album.
Of course she wore white to someone else's wedding

Despite everything, she was still my Nana. I'm sad and feel a bit ill. Both my father and my pops have cried today, and I can say I've never witnessed that before; it breaks my heart. The viewing(s) and funeral will be next week and I'm not sure how I will handle that.

While looking through my old photos I found one of my mother, sister and I that really makes me smile.

Until I realized that I am indeed my mother, and got creeped out.
Scary!

I canceled my plans for this evening in favour of elastic-ankled sweatpants and a Criminal Minds marathon. I just want to hang out with the family and sleep. Lots and lots of sleep in needed. I'm going back to the INDY tomorrow after physio and am so thankful that Megan will be there all weekend, and great co-workers like Cam and Shannon will keep my mind busy. I should get my MRI results tomorrow too, keep your fingies crossed for the best! Also it's eight weeks and one day with the injury. And that? Fuckin' blows!

No comments:

Post a Comment