Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jump Up, Jump Up and Get Down

Everyone seems to be impressed with the progress my ankle has been making the last two weeks. I won't lie, I'm pretty impressed as well. The injections actually seem to be working...oh that crazy, illegal Dr. HottiePants and his medical breakthroughs.

After a follow up appointment yesterday, I am now allowed to start jumping and doing a lot more weight transfer. I plan on jumping off everything possible (that's below the height of one stair). After progression with that, running short distances is next. Steph says 30 metres. I say 30 minutes. We'll work up to it. The good news is that Steph thinks I'm two weeks away from running. I cannot wait. She suggests that I start on the treadmill and then take it outside. It seems very possible to be running for my birthday race. I couldn't be happier. Okay, no that's a lie, if this thing didn't happen in the first place I'd be much happier.

Remember I was telling you all about "Healthy Living Blogs"? Well this cycle's guest post was about what "Health" means to me. Below is the entry I submitted.

What does health mean to me? Oh this could get rather interesting!
I’ve gone on a whirlwind trip trying to figure out that meaning. It used to mean copious amounts of exercise. Days I’d believe it meant fixating about what entered my mouth; calorie counting and obsessing about fat grams, carbohydrates and sodium levels. Other days it meant some sort of combination of the two. For times, it had no meaning to me at all; I had no idea. I couldn’t think of the word without coming to odds with myself at what I was doing wrong, or what I even thought. Did it hold any importance in my life? At times, the answer was no - I was reckless.
It’s all found a way to straighten itself out in my mind. With every downward turn, I was thankful the rollercoaster came back up.

There needs to be a balance between my emotional, physical and mental selves for me to truly feel healthy. It goes far beyond the meals I prepare and the time spent in the yoga studio, or in my running shoes.

My true healthy finds me surrounded with loving friends and family that make me want to be the best person I know I am.

My true healthy has me content in my skin, no matter the size of my jeans, or cup of my bra.

My true healthy doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘perfect’ because it’s definition changes on a whim and is usually unrealistic.

My true healthy sweats, and hurts, and feels amazing with discovering new muscles.

My true healthy is whole, clean foods that nourish my body in each of its activities, and involves rewards to treat my sweet tooth.

My true healthy sets goals to strive for everything that is possible to achieve, even if it seems like a stretch in the beginning.

My true healthy comforts my soul with learning, and giving back, and smiling from the inside.

My true healthy cherishes every decision I’ve made, because at one point I did think it was for the best.

My true healthy is open to the world’s possibilities and will not hold a closed mind to the unknown.

My true healthy is still a work in progress, but everyday I am getting closer to being that fantastic, and amazing girl that I know and love.

Yours with hugs,
Laur

I can't wait to see it posted. I'll share the link once it is. It's taken so long to be able to type those words, and as much as I believe them, as I said they are still a work in progress A daily reminder of being happy in the moment and with what I am currently doing. Healthy takes a lot of work, and you have to be committed. It's the longest, most troublesome relationship I've ever had. I'm making it work though, I'm worth it.

Did I also mention that sister and I are headed to BOSTON tomorrow until Monday night. I cannot freaking wait! I went in January for the season opener of the Rock (we won 17-7 and it was amazing) but the city was really the show stopper for me. I fell in love with the hustle and the architecture and the old/modern world feel of it. I knew I had to go back when it wasn't -30 degrees and I could sight-see without wearing every article of clothing I packed (and bought). This five day trip will be magnificent; just the break I need.  

There is free WIFI everywhere you look in Boston (besides in our hotel) I'll hopefully be in touch over the weekend. Here is a little sneak peak into what we are doing:
  • Fenway
  • Shopping
  • Walking
  • Duck tours
  • Swan boat
  • Yoga
  • Shopping
  • Harvard
I'm sure I'll also be doing a lot of jumping this weekend! :)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh have a great time on your trip! I've never been to Boston, but I bet it's amazing. Take lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry, nice writing.
    Have a nice trip with your sister to Boston, hope the weather stays nice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having fun in Boston! And love your "what health means" post. It is beautifully written. Especially how you have it in a letter and talk about things outside of diet and exercise.

    ReplyDelete