Saturday, August 21, 2010

I think I'll go to Boston

Dear Boston, I love you!

It’s been a spectacular three days so far in Boston; Sister and I are having a great time. Our feet hurt, we’re tired, we have weird burns. It couldn’t be any better.


The ankle is holding up pretty well, and I’ve only had to put the brace on twice. Both of those were near the end of the day after LOTS of walking. One thing we quickly realized once we were here is that EVERYONE jaywalks. Each hustle on the street has gone well - no pain from the quick jog across the block.

It was an early morning on Thursday, but we were excited to get to the airport and get on our way.
I always hate leaving my gorgeous city, but my memories of Boston made it easy to leave this sight:
Day 1: we took it pretty easy.

We checked into our gorgeous hotel, walked along Boylston St., shopped on Newbury St., and dined at Faneuil Hall.
The seafood is something spectacular, but what do you expect when they pull it straight out of the water beside you?!

Day 2: we packed from top to bottom.

We got our bearings straight at breakfast with free wifi at Starbucks. Our hotel, though amazing (hello, Hyatt) and discounted (thank you Blazers lacrosse), charges $10/day for Internet access. Are you kidding me? There are over 250 hotspots within walking distance. Who would pay?

With lists and maps in hand we ventured out to be the best tourists we could be - snapping photos and exploring markets. 
Then I made an appearance on FOX national news. 
Topic of the day: what do you think about the recent study about single old women as cougars?

Really? This was made for me! I wish I saw the segment. My pretty hilarious answer touched on how it has to be true, or else I would have no goals for my future. Reporter dude then asked how one prepares to be a cougar. You start as a puma of course! In your 20s you prey on those in the younger 20s maybe even 19. Don’t think he was expecting me, but it made for some good TV. You’re welcome, reporter dude! Now, I just need to date someone younger….34? Isn’t younger!

We made it to Whole Foods in search of goodies and lunch.
YUM! And we enjoyed it in the beautiful Boston Commons. 
After changing shoes and outfits, we took a ride on the Duck tours. Nothing screams tourist more than an organized city tour (actually a fanny pack and a visor does, but I refuse to venture there).

Quack Quack! This vehicle shaped like a duck drives around the streets then plunges into the Charles Rivah…ahem, river. My R’s are escaping me here in Bahstan.

I’m glad we did it, and I’m glad we got to sit for over an hour. You learn a bit more than if you walked around alone, and got to see some beautiful sights.
Day 3: we think our feet have fallen off.

We decided to explore the subway system…or the “T”. Verdict: love it! It was so easy to understand, simple to transfer, quick and comfortable. Our first stop?
HARVARD! Such a pretty campus – but huge, confusing and pretentious.
We didn’t stick around too long, before getting back on the T and heading to the Happiest Place on Earth. TARGET!

Of course Sister and I would find a Target! We emptied our wallets and were pleased to do so. I was doing pretty well with budgeting until today. I can’t control myself at Target, but when I think about the quantity I bought for the price I paid, I’m very impressed with myself.

Though exhausted, we decided to make one last T stop at the library before heading back to the hotel. We saw a sign for a vintage postcard exhibit and just had to go see it.
Feet were on fire by this time, so we decided to stop for a bit in the garden. Guess what? I’ve found the place I’m going to get married. Didn’t know I was planning a wedding? Either did I! Doesn’t matter, I now have a location.
We’re taking it easy tonight. Dinner and a bit more shopping, we have to pick something up for dad. Mom got slippers from Boston College.

Tomorrow we’re headed to the Sox game; we’ve got our tickets and are fully outfitted for the game. Still need to check out the Swan Boats and there is always time for more shopping. 

We leave here late on Monday, and I already don’t want to go. Anyone hiring in Beantown? I’ll pretty much do anything!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! First time reader here! You blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete