Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't let 'em say you ain't beautiful

I woke this morning realizing two things:
1. It's been 12 weeks (84 days) since I hurt my ankle
2. I am some how more sick than yesterday. *cough cough* my poor sore throat!

That list is in honour of the narc (dad). He is on a flight with his brother and two sisters, headed to Texas to be with their sister to mourn the loss of her husband, John. I wish I could be with them, offering up a hug or a smile. Sister and I often make fun of my dad's email behaviour that will, without a doubt, include a list. They are also often titled for how many points are in his list "Two things" or "Four points". It's rather funny.

I had yet another morning fight discussion with myself as I lay sprawled in my bed.
me: don't wake up, turn off the alarm
me: you have to go to work, there may be another player signing or trade
me: they have your cell number, and your laptop is on the table
me: but...i...
me: give in, give me
me: screw it, I'm going to the office
me: but what will you wear? think of all that effort to plan an outfit
me: i know one thing a ponytail will be involved, and makeup wont be
me: sleep, just sleep more
me: there is a dress on the ground, I see it, I'm wearing that
me: you win this time, responsibility

So here I am, at the office in a wrinkled dress, but I'm here. No trades, no signing, no sunshine, no sleep...I wish me won the fight.

The only thing to turn a day like this around (besides baked goods) is to make myself smile, and to make someone else smile.

I knew just the thing!

After following Caitlin on Twitter, and reading her stories on Operation Beautiful I really wanted to join the movement.  I also wanted to buy her book (just released in Canada on Tuesday). Roadtrip to Chapters! Conveniently located down the street from my office, it is a mecca for lunchtime travellers.

Post-it notes and sharpies in hand, I had to become part of the OB community before I could pick up the book.

This one was left on the cover of "YOU on a Diet"

And this one was left inside the pages of "Shape Magazine" on an ad for a meal replacement drink

TALK ABOUT WARM FUZZIES!!

I would have loved to stick around and wait till someone discovered one of my colourful notes. I am smiling ear to ear thinking of the person that stumbles upon it, and what their reaction may be. How could it not be positive and smiley? I know that would be my reaction. The high to brighten my day was complete with this task and I was free to buy the book!

This copy is allllllll mine!
After I'm done, you're more than welcome to borrow it. I'm sure it will be done sooner than later because I already have plans to crack it open tonight with a Starbucks in hand while I waste time before my physio appointment later this evening.

At the 12 week mark, I expected to be sprinting by now. My ankle, thinks otherwise. The injection from the elusive, and criminally investigated (and also known swinger) Dr. HottiePants has definitely loosened things up, but it wasn't the miraculous cure I was expecting it to be. I'll probably need one more shot. It's not the end of the world, but it's also not the end of the injury.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hello.

    I hope your ankle continues to heal and that your family finds peace with everything going on.

    Also, love the warm fuzzies from OB. I get them every time I post a note too. I actually felt the same way when announcing a special plan I have for promoting self-love on my blog coming in September. http://www.faithfitnessfun.com/30-days-of-self-love/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Tina! And for saying hello.
    I am excited to check out your blog and your September self-love.
    I'm on board, it seems like a perfect daily task!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog! Just found it, and can't wait to read more. Hope your ankle heals up quickly :)

    Ali
    www.alisfattofit.com

    ReplyDelete