Sunday, September 19, 2010

Little darling, it seems like years

Today started a new challenge. A 40 day one.

Before I get to that, I'll catch you up on my absence. It has been a whirlwind three weeks in the life of me. I quit a job, I started a new job. I learned a new job, and haven't slept or ate. I yoga'd and gymed and painted my nails. I drove myself crazy trying to please everyone, and final realized that the only person I need to answer to is me.

I even ran for the first time since the ankle injury. On my 17 week hurt-aversery I took to the road for 0.5 miles. Short but sweet; I loved every second of it. I am very proud of myself. Tomorrow I'm hoping for a mile or two. My ankle is feeling pretty good, with the occasional twinge or tingle. I expected it to hurt a lot after the run, but it didn't react. Can you believe it? I'm starting to heal and build strength.

After all that, I can't even begin to explain how much I've missed blogging. So now I'm barely adjusting to the new life, I need to start scheduling again.  Writing is definitely going to be included.

So back to my 40 days...

Today was Day 1 of the Baron Baptiste 40 Days to a Personal Revolution. It's a program run at Power Yoga Canada, the studio I volunteer at on Sundays. It is meant to radically change your body and awaken the sacred within your soul.

Each day focuses on asana practice (go go yoga), meditation, diet and personal reflection. 

While going through the six weeks, this program is supposed to reveal mental clarity, lightness of body, and an illumination of spirit.

Who'd pass on that? I couldn't! I signed up the first day it was open for registration. 

Day 1: we got acquainted.

I am one of 28 lovelies signed up to take this journey. There are only three men, but that is three more than I expected.

We were then split up into groups of four that will act as our support system during the 40 days. I was lucky enough to be grouped with a very diverse group: one male, one mom, one super yogi, and me.

The first reflection was to state what you are letting go, and state what you are committed to have a breakthrough in.

This is where I took it (and by that I mean, I had to stand up in the middle of the circle and share with everyone):

I am letting go of my negative self talk.
Think the worst thought...then multiply it. That's me. I don't trust myself, I second guess every decision, I talk down, I internalize.
I am committed to having a breakthrough in my relationship with myself.
I am the ultimate people pleaser. I do what I can to make everyone else happy....and then neglect me. I pledge to make appointments with myself. I will sleep, I will eat good food, I will go to the gym, I will go to yoga, I will meditate, I will see my friends, I will laugh and enjoy. I will stop stressing myself out, and straining my sanity to appease others.

I told you, so I guess I have to stick to it!

I also took a 75 minute class. There will be lots and lots of yoga in my future. Part of the program is to practice six days a week. I also have to meditate everyday, journal, and go to weekly meetings. Yeah, I see it a bit like group therapy...two women cried today. There is a lot of deep shit that will come out and I'm happy to be a part of it all. I am staying open to the whole process until October 29. It terrifies me to show other people my weaknesses, but it is the only way that I will be able to grow. I'll need to get exposed if I want to be fixed. I can't remember who said it, but they said it best: you have to feel if you want to heal.

Want to learn more? Check it out HERE 

Oh, I'm also going to be one of the social media contributors for the studio. I've started them a YouTube page. Check me out:



I'm off to meditate for the night before rest. I'm leaving the office at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow because I've scheduled a gym appointment at 6 and a yoga class at 7:30. I have a stuffed pepper waiting in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. Planning gold star.

I've missed you so much and am happy to be back. Thanks for being here for me as I heal and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment